Indian-origin Oz cricket star Lisa Sthalekar set to hang up boots
Sydney: Indian-origin Australian all rounder Lisa Sthalekar has revealed she is considering retirement from cricket, and added her appearance in their World Cup final against the West Indies on Sunday would be definitely her last at a World Cup.
The 33-year-old off-spinner said she could not think of a better note on which to leave the game than beating the West Indies in Mumbai and being part of a second victorious Southern Stars ODI World Cup team.
Sthalekar believes her last World Cup match is not a big deal, but her pending retirement will leave a gaping hole in Australian women`s cricket.
Sthalekar has won two Belinda Clark awards for being the top female cricketer in Australia, and countless tributes as one of the sport`s greatest all-rounders.
Sthalekar said she doesn’t know if it will be her last game, adding she doesn’t want to be playing when she is 37 years old.
Sthalekar added it’s not a big deal and all the girls are just focused on getting physically and mentally prepared for the game.
Sthalekar said Sunday’s final game was not a shot at redemption after the 2009 World Cup held in Australia, where the hosts failed to make the final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi