Batting well is more important than scoring runs: Vijay
Jaipur: He might be struggling for runs in the ongoing Pepsi Indian Premier League, but Chennai Super Kings` batsman Murali Vijay feels that he has been batting well in the tournament, which according to the opener is more important than scoring runs.
"...You have to be consistent and I am just working on that. The main thing is that I am batting well and that is more important for me than getting runs. I know that if I keep hitting the ball well runs will come automatically," Vijay said after scoring his second half-century of the IPL 6 against Rajasthan Royals yesterday.
Vijay, who has been picked up in the 15-member Indian squad for the upcoming Champions Trophy in England, has had a quiet season so far, scoring just 208 runs in the 11 games he played.
Despite being on top the ladder, the 29-year-old said Chennai cannot afford to be complacent in such a crucial juncture of the tournament.
"We are comfortably placed in the points table but we don`t want to take anything for granted. So, the next game is going to be much more important for us. We are just looking forward to it," he was quoted as saying by iplt20.Com.
Vijay praised Rajasthan all-rounder Shane Watson who scored a blazing half century to take the game away from Chennai.
"He (Watson) is a world class player and on his day nobody can stop him. He played well on Sunday. Hopefully the next time we turn up we will put up a better show."
Asked about positives that Chennai derived out of yesterday`s match, Vijay said, "Obviously our batting! We batted really well at the start. That was a concern early on. Now it is like everybody getting runs, so that is a good sign for CSK."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?