Mathews officially steps down from Pune Warriors captaincy
Pune: Sri Lanka all-rounder Angelo Mathews on Thursday decided to step down from Pune Warriors` captaincy for the rest of the current Indian Premier League season to ensure that there is continuity in the leadership.
Australian batsman Aaron Finch has led the side in a lot of games as Mathews was dropped due to poor form.
"It is in our best interests that the captaincy is not switched frequently as we strive to achieve the best balanced team for each different opponent. Given that Aaron (Finch) is likely to play in all our remaining games then it is logical that he continues to be our captain," Mathews said in a statement.
The Sri Lankan said he would continue to be a member of the side.
"I will naturally provide my fullest support at all times to Aaron and my team-mates. I will also continue to work as hard as possible as a player as we all strive to win our remaining matches," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'