Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Former IPL Chairman Lalit Modi, who had earlier said he might consider releasing `slapgate` video, has backtracked by saying that the matter is over now and he won’t be releasing the tape.
In a recent statement on Twitter he said: “Wish PTI would not continue to say I am releasing tape. Nothing to release. Matter shut. Persons punished. We have moved on. NO TAPE RELEASE.”
Earlier, claiming that he has got the only copy of `slapgate` video, the former IPL Chairman on Friday claimed that the BCCI had not made the footage of the incident public on the suggestion of vice-president Arun Jaitley and said he would now consider releasing it.
"The idea of not releasing the vid in public was Arun Jaitley`s at that time. We accepted wht he said. But let me re-examine its release now," Modi had written on his `Twitter` page.
"Yes I have the only copy of slap gate video. Will examine whether to release or not in the next few weeks."
Five years after the infamous `slapgate`, S Sreesanth, today made an explosive claim, saying the entire incident was pre-planned and that his former India teammate Harbhajan Singh was a "backstabbing person".
Sreesanth, who is currently playing for Rajasthan Royals, claimed that he was not all at fault in the incident and the real video, which has never been released till now, would show his version. He demanded that the videotape of the incident be made public.
Modi also contradicted Sreesanth`s version that he was not slapped but elbowed by Harbhajan.
"I was at the match in mohali. And saw the incident. And saw the footage too. So there zero chance of ambiguity whether slap or elbow.??" he said.
"What has been said by Sudhir Nanavati is correct. Yes Bhaji did try to hit him again but was stopped."
First Published: Saturday, April 13, 2013, 11:53