Indian team begins training camp, Tendulkar returns in the mix
Banglore: The Indian team today began their three-day training camp ahead of their Test series against Australia starting next week with a three hour-long practice session here, with senior batsman Sachin Tendulkar returning in the mix after his retirement from ODI cricket.
Tendulkar, who struggled against England in the recent home Test series, batted along with Virat Kohli for 45 minutes on the centre pitch at Chinnaswamy Stadium, facing Ashok Dinda, Bhuvaneshwar Kumar, Pragyan Ojha and R Ashwin.
Joining the Indian squad after a two-month gap, Tendulkar did not try anything unusual and paid attention to the basics. He played his shots and defended according to the merit of the balls.
Overall, Tendulkar appeared relaxed without asking any bowler to bowl to a particular line and length, probably feeling confident after scoring two hundreds in the recently-concluded Ranji Trophy season.
New face Shikhar Dhawan and Murali Vijay were seen sweating it out at the side nets using the `high altitude mask`, which helps in achieving increased mental and physical stamina levels.
Virender Sehwag, Murali Vijay, Ajinkya Rahane, Shikhar Dhawan, Cheteshwar Pujara and Ravindra Jadeja also batted at the centre of the pitch. They also faced `throwdowns` from India`s fast bowling coach Joe Dawes with tennis balls to prepare themselves for negotiating short-pitched stuff which Australian pace battery could unleash in the series.
Team India coach Duncan Fletcher-led support staff has engineered a plot to use the services of out-of-the-system 15 young and unknown raw talents to bowl at the top order batsmen over the next three days.
These raw talents, comprising of nine pacers and six spinners, have been picked from open trials at various cities before being sent to regional academies in Mumbai, Chennai and Mohali to whet their skills.
The programme is the brainchild of former NCA Director of Operations and the current chief selector Sandeep Patil.
These `net bowlers` will take off weight from the Indian bowlers during the camp ahead of the challenging series against the Australians beginning in Chennai from February 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year