Indian women lose by 33 runs to England in T20
Canterbury: Indian women produced a disappointing batting display as they suffered a 33-run loss at the hands of England in their Twenty20 International match here.
Chasing 138 for a victory, India could manage only 104 for eight in 20 overs at the St Lawrence Ground here after inviting the hosts to bat.
India`s batting failed miserably with only skipper Mithali Raj (26) and wicketkeeper Sulakshana Naik (25) managing to reach the 20s.
Openers Amita Sharma (9) and Poonam Raut (9) were out in successive overs as the visitors were reduced to 20 for two in five overs.
Mithali and Harmanpreet Kaur (15) had begun a useful partnership, adding 30 before two more wickets fell in the space of four runs to leave India at 54 for four in the 13th over. There was no coming back for India from there.
For England, Katherine Brunt and Danielle Wyatt grabbed two wickets apiece for 21 and 10 runs respectively.
England women were on the backfoot when they lost their captain Charlotte Edwards early after being sent in to bat. She was lbw to N Niranjana, leaving England one for one in 1.1 overs.
The home side made an immediate recovery with Sarah Taylor (69 off 49 balls) and opener Laura Marsh (41 off 39) stitching a 104-run stand for the second wicket in just under 14 overs. Taylor smashed 10 fours while Marsh found the fence four times.
Indian bowlers, led by left-arm spinner Gouher Sultana (2/21), did make a comeback to restrict England to 137 for five, but their batsmen let the side down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know