Indian women lose final ODI, England win series
Wormsley (England): Batting let the Indian women`s cricket team down as it was defeated by 29 runs as per Duckworth-Lewis calculations in the rain-truncated fifth and final one-dayer against England to lose the series 2-3 here.
After restricting India to a mere 152 for eight in 50 overs, the English were at a comfortable 124 for four in 36 overs when rain forced an end to the proceedings.
The Duckworth-Lewis calculations found the hosts winners by 29 runs when the match was stopped.
England chose to bowl after winning the spin of coin and dealt early blows, reducing India to 2 for 3.
Harmanpreet Kaur then did the rescue act for a while with a well-crafted 40-run knock, which was the highest individual score by an Indian in the match.
Lower-order cameos got the Indians to 152 for 8 but it was never going to be enough. For England, the wreckers-in-chief were Georgia Elwiss and Katherine Brunt, who shared five wickets conceding only 36 runs in their 20.
Later Elwiss, who claimed six wickets in the series, was named Player of the Series.
India also managed to get an early wicket when Jhulan Goswami removed host captain Charlotte Edwards (7) but the rest of the English batting order ensured that the chase was not much of a hassle.
Sarah Taylor knocked off 21 at more than a run a ball, while Lydia Greenway top-scored with an unbeaten 37.
India Women: 152 for 8 in 50 overs (Kaur 40, Elwiss 3-17)
England Women: 124 for 4 in 36 overs (Greenway 37 not out).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Premier League 9: Gujarat Lions' Ravindra Jadeja reprimanded for showing dissent at umpire's decision
- Holiday video alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput’s oceanic vacation
- NBSE 10th & 12th Results 2016: Nagaland.gov.in Board, NBSE HSLC & HSSLC Results 2016 to be declared on May 3
- MUST WATCH: Kargil martyr's daughter's message to India and Pakistan on Facebook - `Enough is enough`
- Hubble spots galaxy hidding in night sky – See pic!