Injured Malinga could miss one-day matches against Australia
Colombo: Australia`s hopes for winning the limited- overs matches against Sri Lanka have received a boost after injured paceman Lasith Malinga was ruled out from the team squad for the limited-over matches.
It is also doubtful whether Malinga would feature in the one-day series against Australia as he is battling to be fit ahead of the five-match one-day series starting on August 10.
Sri Lankan Cricket’s National Selection Committee Chairman Duleep Mendis said Malinga was struggling with a back injury and needed to rest for "at least for one week".
"We are monitoring his condition. However, we cannot definitely say at this stage how his condition will be," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Mendis, as saying.
Malinga`s absence would be a major lift for the Australian cricket team, given his fiery quickness with his lethal yorkers.
He has already retired from Test cricket and won`t feature in the three-match Test series starting on August 31, which implies that his injury could prevent him from playing all formats of the game against the Australians.
All-rounder Angelo Matthews was named as vice-captain of Sri Lanka`s T20 squad while Shaminda Eranga earned a call-up after encouraging performance for Sri Lanka A in England.
Tillakaratne Dilshan will captain the Sri Lankan cricket team.
Sri Lanka squad: Tillakaratne Dilshan (capt), Mahela Jayawardene, Kumar Sangakkara, Dinesh Chandimal, Angelo Mathews, Jeevan Mendis, Dilruwan Perera, Thisara Perera, Dhammika Prasad, Suranga Lakmal, Ajantha Mendis, Nuwan Kulasekara, Suraj Randiv, Rangana Herath, Chamara Silva, Shaminda Eranga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble