Injured’ Watson’s comeback trail hits snag
Sydney: Australian all rounder Shane Watson will miss this week`s Sheffield Shield match for New South Wales (NSW) as Cricket Australia (CA) has decided to take a conformist approach with the comeback of the Test vice-captain.
NSW selectors were finalising their squad on Monday but were unlikely to be able to include Watson for the clash with Western Australia starting on Thursday.
Watson was put through his paces under the supervision of national chairman of selectors John Inverarity and fellow selector Andy Bichel at the SCG on Sunday, after which it was decided a return next week was more probable, the paper added.
CA’s chief selector John Inverarity said Watson had a good running work out, but he didn`t bat. The 31-year-old``s likely absence from the shield means he will have to wait until the Blues` one-dayer against WA on Wednesday week to make his return from the calf injury he sustained in the Boxing Day Test.
Watson, who has shelved his bowling indefinitely to concentrate on his batting, is likely to return to the national set-up for the one-day series against the West Indies starting on February 1 in Perth, the paper reported.
If Watson proves his Test fitness he is likely return at No. 4 rather than as an opener. Inverarity said Watson was always willing to play and bat where asked to bat, it concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers