Injury worries for Zimbabwe ahead of New Zealand
Bulawayo: Zimbabwe go into their one-off Test against New Zealand with injury doubts hanging over wicket keeper-batsman Tatenda Taibu and all-rounder Elton Chigumbura.
Losing either player would throw the balance of the Zimbabwe side out of kilter and so the hosts will wait until Monday to finalise their 15-man squad.
Taibu played as a specialist batsman in Zimbabwe`s 2-1 series defeat in the recently concluded one-day series as he battles a long-standing finger problem, while Chigumbura is nursing a knee injury.
Zimbabwe have beaten Bangladesh and lost to Pakistan since returning to Test cricket in August following an absence of more than five years from five-day cricket, and will be hoping to end their home season on a high.
"New Zealand are a quality side but we feel we have a bowling attack that can make inroads into their line-up," said Zimbabwe captain Brendan Taylor.
"Daniel Vettori`s arrival is a big boost for them, but we`ll look to bat long and if we can take the game deep into day five then anything can happen."
Left-arm spinner Vettori skipped the limited overs matches after announcing that he would take a break from the shorter forms of the game.
Taylor scored 310 runs in the one-day series - a record aggregate for a three-match series - and will hope to produce the same form in the Test match.
The hosts could hand a Test debut to Malcolm Waller, whose 99 not out in the third one-day international allowed Zimbabwe to complete their highest ever run chase, as they achieved a target of 329 in a dramatic finale.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!