Injury worries for Zimbabwe ahead of New Zealand
Bulawayo: Zimbabwe go into their one-off Test against New Zealand with injury doubts hanging over wicket keeper-batsman Tatenda Taibu and all-rounder Elton Chigumbura.
Losing either player would throw the balance of the Zimbabwe side out of kilter and so the hosts will wait until Monday to finalise their 15-man squad.
Taibu played as a specialist batsman in Zimbabwe`s 2-1 series defeat in the recently concluded one-day series as he battles a long-standing finger problem, while Chigumbura is nursing a knee injury.
Zimbabwe have beaten Bangladesh and lost to Pakistan since returning to Test cricket in August following an absence of more than five years from five-day cricket, and will be hoping to end their home season on a high.
"New Zealand are a quality side but we feel we have a bowling attack that can make inroads into their line-up," said Zimbabwe captain Brendan Taylor.
"Daniel Vettori`s arrival is a big boost for them, but we`ll look to bat long and if we can take the game deep into day five then anything can happen."
Left-arm spinner Vettori skipped the limited overs matches after announcing that he would take a break from the shorter forms of the game.
Taylor scored 310 runs in the one-day series - a record aggregate for a three-match series - and will hope to produce the same form in the Test match.
The hosts could hand a Test debut to Malcolm Waller, whose 99 not out in the third one-day international allowed Zimbabwe to complete their highest ever run chase, as they achieved a target of 329 in a dramatic finale.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!