‘Internal politics’ has put Sri Lanka cricket in "crisis": Sports Minister
New Delhi: Sri Lanka``s Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage has slammed the national cricket team for their poor performances, insisting that the sport in the country was in "crisis".
"The Sri Lanka cricket team is in a crisis situation. It is very unfortunate. The team is not clicking together off-field and it has shown in the results on the field," The Age quoted Aluthgamage, as saying.
He said that he would personally meet the players when they return later this month from their tour of South Africa, and give them advice over the issue.
"Once the team returns, I plan to meet them. I feel there is a lot of internal politics within the team that is spilling over to the cricket pitch," Aluthgamage added.
Since the retirement of bowling star Muttiah Muralidaran in July 2010, Sri Lanka has won only one Test match, though it did reach the final of the One-Day World Cup last year.
Sri Lanka will now play five one-day internationals in South Africa starting tomorrow, before heading for a tri-series tournament in Australia, which also includes India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender