Inverarity blows bugle for Gen-next Oz players to audition for future Test captain role
Sydney: Australian chairman of selectors John Inverarity has sent a bugle call for leaders of the next generation to step forward and showcase their credentials for the role of following Test captain Michael Clarke , ahead of the ICC Champions Trophy squad.
The Australian team leadership has seen a churning in its muddy waters following the deposing of Test keeper Matthew Wade from the vice-captaincy post in favour of veteran Brad Haddin for the Ashes, News.com.au reports.
Twenty20 national captain George Bailey was named vice-captain of Australia`s 15-man squad for the 50-over eight-nation tournament in England in June.
Admitting that the selectors had no clear picture of who would replace Clarke when his days as Australia captain came to an end, Inverarity, however, said that the captainship issue is still an open field, making it a great opportunity for many young players.
Inverarity further said that the captainship issue is a challenge for the selectors, adding that in the past, there used to be a number of Sheffield Shield captains in the national team.
According to Inverarity, it is necessary to give young players leadership in other areas, as is the case with Steve Smith, who will be chosen as the vice-captain of the Australia A team, and Ed Cowan, who was the captain of Australia A in England last year.
Praising George Bailey, Inverarity further said that the selectors have been impressed with Bailey`s leadership when he stepped in to guide the ODI team in Clarke`s absence last summer and leadership of the T20 team over the past two seasons for which he was chosen as Clarke`s deputy for the Champions Trophy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire