Inverarity blows bugle for Gen-next Oz players to audition for future Test captain role
Sydney: Australian chairman of selectors John Inverarity has sent a bugle call for leaders of the next generation to step forward and showcase their credentials for the role of following Test captain Michael Clarke , ahead of the ICC Champions Trophy squad.
The Australian team leadership has seen a churning in its muddy waters following the deposing of Test keeper Matthew Wade from the vice-captaincy post in favour of veteran Brad Haddin for the Ashes, News.com.au reports.
Twenty20 national captain George Bailey was named vice-captain of Australia`s 15-man squad for the 50-over eight-nation tournament in England in June.
Admitting that the selectors had no clear picture of who would replace Clarke when his days as Australia captain came to an end, Inverarity, however, said that the captainship issue is still an open field, making it a great opportunity for many young players.
Inverarity further said that the captainship issue is a challenge for the selectors, adding that in the past, there used to be a number of Sheffield Shield captains in the national team.
According to Inverarity, it is necessary to give young players leadership in other areas, as is the case with Steve Smith, who will be chosen as the vice-captain of the Australia A team, and Ed Cowan, who was the captain of Australia A in England last year.
Praising George Bailey, Inverarity further said that the selectors have been impressed with Bailey`s leadership when he stepped in to guide the ODI team in Clarke`s absence last summer and leadership of the T20 team over the past two seasons for which he was chosen as Clarke`s deputy for the Champions Trophy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog