Inzamam backs Waqar as Pakistan cricket coach
Lahore: Pakistan batting legend Inzamam-ul Haq backed Waqar Younis to be given another chance as the country`s national cricket coach, saying he had proved his credentials in the past.
Pakistan is looking for a permanent coach after former Australian batsman Dav Whatmore`s two-year tenure ended in February. Fomer Test wicketkeeper and captain Moin Khan was appointed interim coach, but his two-month contract was not extended by Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) after a poor showing at the World Twenty20 last month.
Waqar, who served as coach in 2010 and 2011, is favourite to take over and Inzamam said he was the right man for the job.
"Pakistan team benefited during Waqar`s last tenure so I think he is the best choice as he knows the players and is familiar with our culture," Inzamam told reporters. Inzamam, who played 120 Tests and 378 one-day international during an illustrious career, demanded a change in Pakistan`s attitude.
"I think it`s about time we change the culture of changing captains and coaches after one defeat because we need to correct the wrongs and change is not the solution," said Inzamam. Inzamam backed Misbah-ul Haq as one-day captain for next year`s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.
"Misbah should lead the team because we have less than a year for the World Cup and it would not be possible to groom a new captain." Twenty20 captain Mohammad Hafeez stepped down after the team`s failure to reach the World Twenty20 semi-final in Dhaka earlier this month.
Allrounder Shahid Afridi was tipped to take over but young opener Ahmed Shahzad`s name was also mentioned in Pakistani media as a potential replacement. Inzamam said that with no T20 matches until August and no tournament in the format until 2016, now was the right time to bring in new blood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!