IPL 5: Chennai vs Mumbai -- As it happened...
Chennai: 11. 14 pm 17th Over SIX!!! And the winning hit comes from Ambati Rayadu, an upper cut and Bhajji is off to a winning start as Mumbai Indians beat Chennai Super Kings by 8 wickets.
11. 09 pm 16th Over It is easy going for Mumbai and they are now just 9 runs short off the target. MI 104/2
11. 04 pm 15th Over 4 runs off the Ashwin over as Mumbai reach their 100. 13 runs required from 30 balls. MI 100/2
10. 56 pm 14th Over 5 runs off the Albie Morkel over. MI 96/2
10. 56 pm 13th Over Ashiwn’s bowls a tidy over, three runs of it as Franklin and rayadu get the singles with ease. MI 92/2
10. 51 pm 12th Over Morkel comes back into the attack and conceded just 3 runs. MI 87/2
10. 47 pm 11th OverShadab Jakati’s over yields 8 runs as James Franklin got a FOUR! MI 84/2
10. 43 pm 10th Over Dwayne Bravo bowls a tidy over, just four off it. Mumbai need 37 runs from 60 balls. MI 76/2
Sachin Tendulkar is also walking back to the pavilion, retired hurt, a nasty bouncer from Doug Bollinger hit Sachin’s gloves, seems to be an injury. Rayadu walks in.
10. 35 pm 9th Over OUT!!! Rohit Sharma gone, extra bounce does the trick for Bollinger as Sharma, after taking a hit in the groins, departs for nought. Dhoni takes a good low catch. MI 72/2
10. 27 pm 8th Over OUT!!! Big hitting Richard Levi departs, but not before making his mark on IPL 5. 50 off 35 balls including three missives sixes. First IPL innings and his first fifty, this lad is definitely here to stay. Though, kudos to Bravo who bowled a clever slower one to get rid of Levi. MI 69/0
10. 24 pm 7th Over its just brute force still from Levi as he hoists Ashwin for another SIX!!! . 8 runs off the over. MI 61/0
10. 20 pm 6th Over Brute force on display by Richard Levi who went to the same school as Kallis and broke every record set by Kallis there. Levi went down on one knee and slogged for huge SIX!!! in front of deep square. 16 runs off the over. MI 53/0
If you guys are wondering why some sections of stadium (G, H and I blocks) are empty, it is because the stadium authorities have not been given building approval by planning department.
10. 16 pm 5th Over Ashwin into the attack and starts off well conceding just 3 runs. MI 37/0
10. 08 pm 4th Over Levi finds the gap again on the leg side, FOUR! runs for the South African at backward point. Power again from Levi as he smashes a full length delivery over long on for another FOUR! MI 34/0
10. 05 pm 3rd Over FOUR! for Sachin and he opens his account. Movement of the pitch was covered well by Tendulkar early as he pushes the ball past extra cover. Then he comes down the track ad executes a mammoth SIX!!! in front of square. MI 23/0
10. 01 pm 2nd Over Power from Levi as he gets the first FOUR! of the Mumbai innings, he gets the ball between point and cover. Then pulls on the front foot to another FOUR! MI 11/0
9. 58 pm 1st Over Ricard Levi faced the first over and it was a tentative start from the big guy from South Africa. Just one run of Albie Morkel’s over. MI 1/0
Chennai Super Kings innings
Not quite the opening Chennai Super Kings would have preferred as the hosts and defending champions were bowled out for 112 runs in 19. 5 overs at the M.A.Chidambaram stadium on Wednesday.
Mumbai Indians had won the toss and put into bat, Chennai lost Faf du Plessis in the very first over as Ambati Rayudu got a direct hit. From there on, Mumbai got the momentum going and CSK lost wickets at regular intervals. Their star player, Suresh Raina played his part clubbing 36 runs off 26 balls as Murali Vijay struggled in the middle.
New recruit Pragyan Ojha was the wrecker in-chief and along with Kerion Pollard choked the CSK batters during the middle overs. The duos combined 8 overs yielded just 32 runs and four wickets. Mumbai were also very sharp in the field effecting three run outs.
The pitch which had a tinge off grass on it had a bit for the bowlers too.
9. 38 pm 20th Over OUT!!! Malinga finishes it off. Chennai Super Kings bowled out for 112. Bollinger the last man dismissed for 3.
9. 33 pm 19th Over Bhajji returns and gives away just five runs. CSK 109/9
9. 30 pm 18th Over DOUBLE WICKET OVER!!! Ashwin 3 (5) out, third run out for CSK. Then on the final ball the ‘Million dollar baby’ Ravindra Jadeja gets clean bowled by Malinga for just 3 runs. CSK 104/9
9. 22 pm 17th Over OUT!!! Another CSK wicket falls, Badri gone for 10 (16). Chennai in trouble with 7 wickets down. Pollard gets his second wicket as Badri hits a loss full toss straight to Bhajji stationed at short mid on. CSK 102/7
9. 15 pm 16th Over OUT!!! Big blow, Dhoni out for 4. Badri tried to take a cheeky run guiding the ball to backward point with Dhoni running to the danger end, but another direct hit from Abu Nachim had the captain short by few inches. CSK 99/6
9. 11 pm 15th Over Mumbai choking Chennai here, Pollard's third over yield just 4 runs. CSK 93/5
9.0 4 pm 14th Over Ojha’s miserly spell continues, just 4 runs off the over. CSK 90/5
9.0 3 pm 13th Over OUT!!! Fifth down for CSK and that’s big hitting Albie Morkel 3 (8). Pollard gets the wicket as Ojha takes a good running catch at deep backward square. Just 2 runs off the over. CSK 86/5
8.57 pm 12th Over OUT!!! Dwayne Bravo departs for 19. Ojha is the man with the golden arm as he picks his second wicket in as many overs. He flighted the ball well and enticed Bravo to hit it over the top, he did put could only find Pollard at long on. CSK 84/4
8.54 pm 11th Over As big hitting Albie Morkel walks to the middle, Keiron Pollard takes the ball in his hand. Tidy over though, just 5 off it. CSK 80/4
8.50 pm 10th Over OUT!!! Suresh Raina gone for 36 (26). New recruit Pragyan Ojha comes into the attack and picks up the big wicket of Suresh Raina. Raina charges down the wicket and lofts it to deep square where Malinga takes a simple catch. CSK 75/3
8.45 pm 9th Over Flick through the leg side by Raina and he gets a FOUR. CSK 69/2
8.41 pm 8th Over Raina tries to up the ante and he earns himself a FOUR. Not a convincing stroke, nevertheless a mishit to the long on boundary. Bravo then hit Franklin with a straight bat lofting wide on long on FOUR!. Bravo then played an inside out shot for another FOUR. 14 off the over. CSK 62/2
8. 37 pm 7th Over Tight over by Bhajji as Bravo had trouble picking the offie. 6 off the over. CSK 48/2
Decent start for Chennai, as they hosts scored 42 runs in the batting powerplay with the loss of two wickets.
8. 33 pm 6th Over OUT!!! Murali Vijay 10 (17) put out of his misery by a Franklin slower, Murali tried to dig it out but only managed to scoop it up to short mid wicket. He was struggling in the middle and Bravo walks in and a leg bye FOUR off the last ball. CSK 42/2
8.29 pm 5th Over New captain Harbhajan comes into the attack and concedes 6 runs off the over. CSK 34/1
8.21 pm 4th Over First SIX!!! of IPL season 5 and it was Raina who lofts the ball with good timing over mid off. Murali Vijay also breaks the shackles with a FOUR over mid on. 13 runs of the over. CSK 28/1
8.16 pm 3rd Over Malinga bowls another tight over mixing his and variations very well, 6 runs off the over. CSK 15/1
8.12 pm 2nd Over Abu Nachim starts off well conceding just four runs of the over. CSK 9/1
8.07 pm 1st Over OUT!!! Direct hit and that’s the end of Faf Du Plessis. Ambati Rayadu runsin from extra cover and hits the bull’s eye. CSK 4/1
Mumbai Indians captain Harbhajan Singh won the toss and elected to bowl first in the opening match of the IPL 2012 season against Chennai Super Kings on Wednesday.