IPL 6: RCA starts work on Sawai Man Singh Stadium
Jaipur: With the decks cleared for hosting of IPL 6 matches at the Sawai Man Singh Stadium here, the state cricket body has started preparing the ground for the home matches of Rajasthan Royals.
The Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA) recently signed an MOU with the state government regarding the use of Sawai Man Singh Stadium for the cash-rich event.
A deadlock between the RCA and Rajasthan State Sports Council (RSSC) had earlier threatened to shift all the home matches of Royals to Ahmedabad and Rajkot in Gujarat.
The RCA got the possession of the ground today and has started work to bring it back into shape for the event.
"The ground was not in use for almost seven months. The RSSC had taken the possession of the ground and they did not have the expertise to maintain it for the top class cricket," curator Taposh Chatterjee said.
"The ground needs a lot of work but I am sure we will bring it back to shape with the help of sophisticated equipment available with RCA. At present it is in pretty bad shape. Whole of the outfield needs scarification and the wicket is wet. Today, we have concentrated on the outfield.
"As far as the pitch is concerned we will have a look at it and then decide if we need to do the top dressing. It would make it a bit slow but if the top layer is eroded we will have to go for it. But let it dry first and then we would decide."
Chatterjee, however, is hopeful that the ground would be ready for the event starting Arpil 3.
"I am sure that by mid-March we will bring back the ground and the wicket in top condition."
Meanwhile, top officials of the RCA also inspected the ground and the pavilion.
"We have signed five MOUs with the government for the first time. Earlier the RSSC used to make things complicated but now it has no role to play and would be confined to west pavilion where it runs its office. The MOU has also authorised the RCA to use the North Gate of the SMS stadium," said an official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India