IPL 7 in South Africa?
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: It is safe to presume that the seventh edition of Indian Premier League will be held in South Africa. Like the second edition, this time too, the super-rich cricket league will coincide with India`s General Election.
The IPL governing council had already finalised April 9 to June 3 as the window for the double-round robin tournament, which will last a full eight week. And the 2014 General Elections will be conducted in multiple phases, from April 16 to May 13. In 2009, the IPL had been shifted to the Rainbow Nation to avoid security concerns posed by general elections of the world`s second most populated nation.
South Africa, having already hosted the high-profile tournament once, will be a preferred venue for many reasons. Other options in the form of Sri Lanka, Abu Dhabi and Dubai were believed to be considered. However, any of these venues cannot match the logistical advantages which South Africa would provide. Besides the 2009 edition of IPL, the country has a track record of successfully hosting mega sporting events, like the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
However, IPL chairman Ranjib Biswal has stated that the final decision will be taken only after the meeting with the Home Ministry officials and the Home Minister, Sushil Kumar Shinde. Even if a decision is made to held the tournament in another country, we want to hold the maximum of the matches in India, added Biswal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi