BCCI in talks with other Boards for possible IPL venue: Biswal
New Delhi: With the government making it clear that it will not be able to provide adequate security for IPL 7, the BCCI has started talking to cricket boards of other countries for possible venues of the cash-rich tournament, tournament chairman Ranjib Biswal said on Friday.
"The (central) government had expressed its inability to provide adequate security for IPL 7 in view of the upcoming general elections. So we have started talking to different countries to hold the tournament," he said.
Asked if South Africa is a likely venue, he said, "South Africa is a favoured venue to host the matches but we will have to decide."
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde Friday said that the government would not be able to provide adequate security for IPL -- likely to be held between April 9 and June 3 -- as its dates clash with general elections.
Biswal said in any case the IPL will have to get all government clearances before holding the tournament in another country.
"There is not going to be any IPL without government clearance. We will get all the clearances before the tournament," he said.
On the question of IPL spot-fixing case pending at the Supreme Court, Biswal said, "The Supreme Court had given the green signal for the players` auction. So we went ahead for IPL 7. The apex court will take a call on the (spot-fixing) case.
"But I can tell you, IPL 7 will be grander, cleaner and controversy free."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened