Dhoni praises Smith for setting up Chennai win over Mumbai
Mumbai: Chennai Super Kings captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni yet again played the role of a perfect finisher in his side`s four-wicket win over Mumbai Indians in an IPL match here but gave the credit to opener Dwayne Smith for his crucial knock at the top.
Smith scored a 51-ball 57 to lay the foundation of Chennai`s win though he was not at his explosive best but Dhoni lauded the West Indian for sticking at the wicket till the 16th over of their run chase of 158.
"Smith batted more patiently than usual, recognising his strong areas, and capitalising on them. He set up the run chase for us," Dhoni said after he hit the winning runs -- a boundary -- for his side.
"It`s a fantastic pitch to bat on, but the ball stopped a bit early on and became easier for CSK with the dew," said Dhoni who finished the match with a 12-ball 22 not out.
"I think Mumbai misread the wicket in playing only one spinner."
Smith, on his part, said that he wanted to stay at the crease as long as possible and continue to contribute for his side`s cause. "I`m just trying to stay as consistent as I can. I thought they bowled very well upfront, especially Harbhajan Singh, just had to stay out there and get as much as I could."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi