HDFC chairman, Deepak Parekh becomes special advisor to Sunil Gavaskar for IPL
Mumbai: HDFC chairman Deepak Parekh will be a special advisor to Sunil Gavaskar, interim president of the Indian cricket board, during the seventh edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL), the board said in a statement Friday.
Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Sanjay Patel said that Parekh was appointed at the insistence of Gavaskar. Parekh will be a special invitee to the Governing Council meetings of the IPL.
"Parekh has been dubbed as the unofficial crisis consultant of the government. His role as Special Director on the Satyam Board in 2009, to revive the company and restore the confidence in the Indian IT industry, was greatly acknowledged. Parekh has always been willing to share his ideas and experience to formulate reform policies across sectors," said Patel in a statement.
Gavaskar said he was delighted after Parekh accepted his invitation.
“I am delighted that Deepak has accepted my invitation to come on board as a special advisor and special invitee to the Indian Premier League Governing Council. It is apt that an individual of the calibre of Parekh will be joining the BCCI-IPL’s leadership group," he said.
"With a diverse combination of skills and experience, this appointment will result in a well-rounded senior management team at the IPL - one that will set the direction for a better and bigger league,” Gavaskar said.
IPL chairman Ranjib Biswal said Parekh`s expertise will help the Governing Council.
"We are pleased to have Mr. Deepak Parekh in our team. His expertise will enable us to deliver a memorable IPL," said Biswal.
Parekh said he was excited to be invited to be a part of the IPL.
"I look forward to fulfilling this challenging new role on the IPL’s senior leadership team as an advisor to Mr. Gavaskar, as we look to strengthen the Indian Premier League,” he said.
Parekh was honoured with the Padma Bhushan in 2006, and the "Knight in the Order of the Legion of Honour," one of the highest distinctions conferred by the French Republic, in 2010. He was the first international recipient of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales` Outstanding Achievement Award, in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you