HDFC chairman, Deepak Parekh becomes special advisor to Sunil Gavaskar for IPL
Mumbai: HDFC chairman Deepak Parekh will be a special advisor to Sunil Gavaskar, interim president of the Indian cricket board, during the seventh edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL), the board said in a statement Friday.
Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Sanjay Patel said that Parekh was appointed at the insistence of Gavaskar. Parekh will be a special invitee to the Governing Council meetings of the IPL.
"Parekh has been dubbed as the unofficial crisis consultant of the government. His role as Special Director on the Satyam Board in 2009, to revive the company and restore the confidence in the Indian IT industry, was greatly acknowledged. Parekh has always been willing to share his ideas and experience to formulate reform policies across sectors," said Patel in a statement.
Gavaskar said he was delighted after Parekh accepted his invitation.
“I am delighted that Deepak has accepted my invitation to come on board as a special advisor and special invitee to the Indian Premier League Governing Council. It is apt that an individual of the calibre of Parekh will be joining the BCCI-IPL’s leadership group," he said.
"With a diverse combination of skills and experience, this appointment will result in a well-rounded senior management team at the IPL - one that will set the direction for a better and bigger league,” Gavaskar said.
IPL chairman Ranjib Biswal said Parekh`s expertise will help the Governing Council.
"We are pleased to have Mr. Deepak Parekh in our team. His expertise will enable us to deliver a memorable IPL," said Biswal.
Parekh said he was excited to be invited to be a part of the IPL.
"I look forward to fulfilling this challenging new role on the IPL’s senior leadership team as an advisor to Mr. Gavaskar, as we look to strengthen the Indian Premier League,” he said.
Parekh was honoured with the Padma Bhushan in 2006, and the "Knight in the Order of the Legion of Honour," one of the highest distinctions conferred by the French Republic, in 2010. He was the first international recipient of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales` Outstanding Achievement Award, in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh