Indian Premier League 2014: Can KXIP change the fortunes for Sehwag?
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: The discarded Indian opener, Virender Sehwag, will represent Kings X1 Punjab in the seventh edition of the cash-rich Indian Premier League. Viru, who had been representing Delhi Daredevils, since the inception of the league, will now play under the captaincy of George Bailey, who will lead the Punjab franchise.
After going through a poor patch, Sehwag was shown the doors by the Indian selectors. But the dangerous batsman struggled to pile up runs in the domestic leagues as well, to revive his international career. However, it seems as if the swashbuckling opener is now coming back to his former self. After smashing a ton while representing Marylebone Cricket Club in Champion County match against Durham, the Delhi cricketer has shown consistency with the bat. While playing in Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 Trophy, the right-hander has played impressive knocks of 42, 22, 67 and 49 in his last four innings.
Viru last played for India in a Test match against Australia in March 2013. Now, the 35-year-old, is looking forward for the forthcoming IPL season to revive his flagging career. “Last season I did not score runs; but if I do well in the IPL, I may get a chance to come back in national team. It depends on my performance,” Sehwag told PTI.
Sehwag also warned the bowlers by adding: “I will play with the same way I have been playing - hit the ball if it`s to be hit.”
Seventh edition of the IPL is undoubtedly the best chance Viru has to make a comeback in the national team by performing well in the slam-bang version. And the attacking batsman too is eagerly looking forward to grab this opportunity with both hands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan