IPL 2014: Dhoni credits success to Mohit`s superb death bowling
Dubai: Chennai Super Kings today produced a clinical performance to register their third consecutive win in IPL-7 and skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni attributed the success to the "superb" death bowling of his pace battery.
Young Mohit Sharma Mohit (4/14) shone with the ball before Brendon McCullum smashed a belligerent unbeaten 71 to guide Chennai to a comfortable seven-wicket win over defending champions Mumbai Indians.
Mohit produced a fine death bowling display to help Chennai restrict the title holders to a modest 141 for seven.
"The death bowling was superb. In the middle overs they (Mumbai) had a partnership going which meant we were under a bit of pressure. It meant the bowlers had to step up," Dhoni said at the post-match presentation ceremony.
"We were not sure how the wicket would play in the second half. Last game we played here we realised the slower one works really well, you had to hit the right areas which Mohit did," he said.
Chasing the target, Dwayne Smith (29) and McCullum got Chennai off to a flier scoring 57 runs for the opening wicket which set the platform for the win which eventually came with an over to spare.
Dhoni was quick to compliment both his openers -- Smith and McCullum -- for their efforts.
"If Dwayne Smith gets going, McCullum takes a backseat, and if there is a change in momentum, McCullum takes charge. They have complemented each other very well. Following them we have got (Suresh) Raina, (Faf) du Plessis, we have good firepower to capitalise," he said.
Losing captain Rohit Sharma feels they were 20 runs short of what could have been a winning score on this pitch.
"That was the target, unfortunately we could not get to 160, I was a little disappointed. We did not start well, batted well in the middle but did not finish off well. It was a good batting track. 140 was not a big target," said Rohit, who scored a half-century today.
"In the last three games we have not scored more than 140 which shows there is some work to do there. Bowlers have done well in all the three games."
Man-of-the-match Mohit said he was just trying to keep things simple and was following his skipper`s instructions to mix his deliveries at the death.
"Captain said wicket was on the slower side, don`t bowl the same pace, mix it up, it is hard to hit the slower one on this surface," Mohit said.
"When you bowled quicker, the ball came on and was easier to hit. It was not easy to hit when you mix up your pace. We bowled well at the death and they were not able to get as many as they would have wanted to. But 140 was still a good score. McCullum and Smith batted well," he signed off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly