IPL 2014: Kolkata Knight Riders vs Mumbai Indians - Preview
Kolkata: High on confidence after beating table-toppers Kings XI Punjab in their previous game, Kolkata Knight Riders will look to continue the winning momentum when they take on erratic defending champions Mumbai Indians in their Indian Premier League match here on Wednesday.
The last time the two sides faced off in the tournament opener in the United Arab Emirates, the Knight Riders came out triumphant.
The Kolkata outfit, though, has been struggling to find its feet in the ongoing tournament, but back-to-back victories, especially a win against a strong Punjab side at this very venue, must have done its confidence a world of good.
Come Wednesday, KKR, who are placed fourth in the points table with four wins and five loses in nine games, would certainly be keen to go all out for a victory and brighten their chances of making the play-off stage.
Kolkata`s batting has clicked against both Delhi Daredevils and KXIP, with underfire skipper Gautam Gambhir leading from the front striking a couple of superb half-centuries to guide the team to victory.
Robin Uthappa and Manish Pandey have also made significant contributions in the last two games and would be looking to continue with their exploits.
The bowlers will also draw confidence form the fact that they managed to restrict Punjab`s marauding batsmen to a mere 149 for eight here.
Knight Riders` decision to include Morne Morkel and Piyush Chawla in the playing XI paid huge dividends as they picked five wickets for 49 runs in eight overs between them.
While leg-spinner Piyush Chawla (3/19) bowled brilliantly in the middle overs, pacer Morne Morkel (2/20) did his job to perfection.
With mystery spinner Sunil Narine around, the Mumbai Indians would definitely be wary of Kolkata`s bowling unit.
The defending champions, with just three victories from nine games so far, are well aware that they would have to win all their remaining matches if they want a berth in the play-offs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing