IPL-7: Batting woes continue for Gambhir, Sehwag
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
Dubai: Two discarded Indian openers, Gautam Gambhir and Virender Sehwag, who have been out of the team for quite some time now, have failed to make an impact in the first two matches for their respective franchises in the Indian Premier League`s seventh edition.
Sehwag, who has been a part of the Delhi franchise since the inception of the league is now representing the Kings XI Punjab team. Though, the team has won both their matches while chasing the mammoth totals, Viru failed to make an impact with the bat. In the first match against Chennai Super Kings, the veteran started off well and smashed four boundaries in the first ten balls he faced. But the right-hander failed to convert his start into a big score and got out after scoring 19 runs. In the second match against Rajasthan Royals, the ageing cricketer only managed to score mere two runs. The cash-rich league is a golden opportunity for the swashbuckling opener to impress the Indian selectors. But so far his willow hasn`t really fired.
On the other hand, Gambhir, who is leading the Kolkata franchise, Kolkata Knight Riders is still to open his account. In the opening match of IPL-7, when his franchise locked horns against the defending champions Mumbai Indians, he got out for a eighth-ball duck, though his team won the match. In the second match against Delhi Daredevils, he once again got out for a fourth-ball duck. After two consecutive ducks, Gauti must be under immense pressure to perform with the bat.
Both the Delhiites know the fact that they won`t get a better chance to get their respective forms back, than the IPL. The league has just started, so the two senior pros, will certainly get more chances to prove their mettle. But now, the onus is on them to show their vintage class to give the selectors a reason to pick them up in the Indian team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi