IPL-7: It was a complete performance, says MS Dhoni
Abu Dhabi: Chennai Super Kings crushed Delhi Daredevils by 93 runs to record their first win in this year`s Indian Premier League and captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni termed his side`s outing today as a "complete performance".
Chennai first rode on Suresh Raina`s fine half-century and a late burst from skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni to post a competitive 177 and then came up with a disciplined bowling and fielding effort to bundle out the Daredevils for a paltry 84 in 15.4 overs.
"It was a complete performance. Catches win matches and it was proved today . This was a perfect game for us," Dhoni said at the post-match presentation ceremony at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium here.
"There was a bit of help for fast bowlers. Seven batsmen should be good enough. We had a day off and fielding is something we always emphasise on and it can be a benchmark for forthcoming games," he added.
Losing skipper Dinesh Karthik feels it was an achievable target. He also said that injury to Nathan Couter-Nile at the start of the match hurt their cause.
"Coulter-Nile will be out for some time, pulled his hamstring. To have lost him that early was a blow for us. But the target was gettable if we batted better," he said.
"The ball was seaming. Under the lights it was doing a bit more. I would have batted second anyway had I won the toss."
Raina, who was adjudged man-of-the-match for his 41-ball 56-run knock and three catches, said fielding played a big role in Chennai`s win today.
"We bowled really well. We won the match because of the fielding. The pitch was doing something. The new ball does do more under lights," he said.
He also praised young Ishwar Pandey who picked up two wickets for 23 runs in his first match.
"I think Ishwar Pandey won us the game today."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe