IPL 7: Magnificent Glenn Maxwell plots Chennai Super King's crushing defeat
Cuttack: Glenn Maxwell continued with his incredible batting form in this IPL as he blasted a 38-ball 90 in a stupendous exhibition of strokeplay to single-handedly take Kings XI Punjab to a comprehensive 44-run victory over Chennai Super Kings here on Wednesday.
ALSO SEE: OUR FULL COVERAGE ON IPL 7»
Maxwell, the highest run scorer this season with 435 from seven matches, butchered the Chennai bowlers to submission as Punjab scored 231 for 4 -- the highest total of IPL-7 so far -- after his side was put into bat at the Barabati Stadium.
Chasing a mammoth target of 232, Chennai, which boasted of one of the best batting line-ups this season, could only score 187 for six to slump to their second defeat. Their other defeat was also against the same opponents with Maxwell hitting a 43-ball 95 in Punjab`s six-wicket win on April 18 in Abu Dhabi in the UAE leg of IPL-7.
Chennai suffered a jolt in the first over itself with in-form opener Dwayne Smith getting out for just four.
The other opener Brendon McCullum (33) and Suresh Raina (35) kept Chennai in for a slim chance with a 51 run stand for the second wicket but they failed to keep pace with the asking rate which shot up to nearly 15 per over by the halfway mark.
Ravindra Jadeja (17) departed just after the halfway mark while McCullum was run out thanks to a brilliant piece of fielding by Mitchell Johnson whose running throw hit the wicket directly.
It was all over by then for Chennai as they needed 113 runs from the last five overs. Captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni (23) and Faf du Plessis (52) delayed the inevitable with a 61-run stand for the fifth wicket but Chennai finally found themselves outclassed by a rival team for the second time in the tournament.
With today`s victory, Punjab jumped to the top of the league table with 12 points from seven matches. Chennai have also secured the same points from eight matches but Punjab were on top on better net run rate.
Today`s win by Punjab also snapped Chennai`s six match winning streak in the IPL-7.
It was a Maxwell show all the way in the clash of table toppers as the 25-year-old Australian hit six fours and eight sixes to take his side to the fifth highest total in IPL history with the jampacked crowd enjoying the unbelievable batting show, including his three reverse hit sixes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand