IPL 7: Sachin Tendulkar monitors MI training ahead of opener
Abu Dhabi: The Mumbai Indians players were buoyed by the presence of Sachin Tendulkar, who joined the team`s training session here today as the high-profile franchise starts its title defence against Kolkata Knight Riders in IPL 7 on Wednesday.
The MI players were overjoyed as Tendulkar, who reached here late last night, came in the team`s practise outfit at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi.
Having retired from all forms of the game after the Test series against West Indies ended on November 16 last year, Tendulkar seemed to be itching to have a hit in the nets. He has already been named as an "MI Icon" recently and will also do his bit to promote the franchise`s cause of "Education for All".
The legend today padded up and had a half-an hour session at the nets during which he was a picture of concentration as if he is going to be a part of the playing XI tomorrow.
He also did his customary knocking facing throwdowns from a member of the support staff.
"It was a lesson for the youngsters in the manner Sachin went about his drills. If someone thought that he wanted to hit a few balls for fun, they were mistaken. His drills were just like it used to be before a match," an MI source told PTI today.
Tendulkar also keenly watched the Rohit Sharmas and the Kieron Pollards at the net session and was seen talking to chief coach John Wright. The highest scorer of all time in international cricket, will be a part of the team`s think-tank where in he will be providing inputs to coach Wright and skipper Sharma on team combination and strategies.
The iconic cricketer had said a few days earlier about how he would want to contribute with his expertise as Mumbai Indians aim to do an encore like Chennai Super Kings did in 2010, 2011 editions of the cash-rich league.
"I have been a part of the Mumbai Indians team since its inception and am delighted to continue my association. This season with Mumbai Indians will be a different experience for me and I look forward to closely interacting with the experienced support staff and sharing my learnings with the exciting youngsters in the team," he was quoted as saying earlier this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing