IPL 7: Shane Watson leading RR from the front
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
Delhi: The Rajasthan Royals are playing impressive cricket under their new skipper Shane Watson. Thus far, Rajasthan have played seven matches, out of which they won five. Like a true leader, the Australian skipper has been leading his side by examples.
In the last match against Kolkata Knight Riders, out of nowhere, RR came to win the match by ten runs. Till the 14th over of the chase, KKR were cruising to victory as both their openers – Gautam Gambhir and Robin Uthappa had completed their fifties and the franchise required just 50 runs off 36 balls.
But then the RR skipper came to bowl the 15th over of the innings, which proved to be the turning point of the match. In that over, Watson first sent Gambhir back to the pavilion to give his team the first breakthrough of the innings. After a gap of one ball, he scalped the wicket of another opener Uthappa. The all-rounder didn`t stop there, as he then bowled a perfect leg-cutter to give KKR third blow of the over in the form of Andre Russell.
Even after the fall of three wickets in quick succession, it could have been anyone`s game. Then Watson wisely gave the ball to leg spinner Pravin Tambe, who had just one over left in the match. And the ageing cricketer didn`t disappoint his skipper and took a hat-trick by taking the wickets of Manish Pandey, Yusuf Pathan and Ryan ten Doeschate, which left KKR reeling at 123 for six. Fall of six wickets within nine deliveries, took the match down to the wire.
In the final over KKR required 17 runs but their two big hitters – Shakib Al Hasan and Suryakumar Yadav -- were still in the middle. Once again the courageous RR skipper took the responsibility to bowl the over and conceded mere six runs.
As a skipper, Watson has shown how to lead a team from the front. In fact other skippers like Gambhir, Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma should learn from Watson, about holding the nerves at crucial junctures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM