South Africa ruled out as overseas venue for 2014 IPL season
Johannesburg: South Africa has reportedly been ruled out as an overseas venue for this year`s Indian Premier League (IPL).
South Africa, the UAE and Bangladesh were the main contenders to host the tournament, which coincides with India`s general elections.
According to Sport24, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Narayanaswami Srinivasan had said that a final decision on IPL venues would be taken after election dates had been announced.
After the Election Commission of India announced that polls would be held in nine phases until May 12, IPL chairman Ranjib Biswal said that as the election dates have been finalized, they are working towards hosting the bulk of the matches in India.
Biswal further said that they have discussed hosting the tournament in foreign venues, although they have not yet decided as they need a couple of days more to finalise the offshore venue.
However, Cricket South Africa (CSA) said that they have not yet received an update on the BCCI decision.
South Africa hosted the IPL in 2009, but the `lack of turnouts at the stadium` was a major concern, and the report added that the 2009 event led to the bonus scandal at CSA and the eventual ousting of CEO Gerald Majola in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- PHOTOS: BRUTAL! Randy Orton receives 10 staples after Brock Lesnar's assault at SummerSlam
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya