Special session for Nadeem and Rahul; Gary has Duminy in mind
New Delhi: It is now a known fact that Delhi Daredevils` spin department is one of the weakest among the eight teams playing in the seventh edition of the IPL and that was perhaps the reason why Shahbaz Nadeem and Rahul Sharma had 30-odd minutes of "spot bowling", here today.
While coach Gary Kirsten and skipper Kevin Pietersen will publicly never admit it but an attack consisting of left-arm spinner Nadeem and leg-spinner Sharma is not only thin on quality but also on experience.
May be that`s the reason that on the first day of Delhi Daredevils` training session, they were the only two bowlers who faced 30 minutes of "spot bowling" even as the others retired to the cooler confines of the dressing room after a game of soccer and routine fielding drills.
Both Nadeem and Rahul were taken to a centre net and told to pitch the ball on a spot that was marked by bowling coach Eric Simons. Both got a bit of applaud whenever they the pitched it on the "spot".
However, it is still not sure whether both will be inducted into the playing XI in the same match.
If one goes by coach Kirsten`s words, then he has the option of seasoned JP Duminy in mind also as the senior Proteas left-hander regularly bowls his off-breaks in T20 Internationals.
Asked if they are a bit short on spin bowlers, Kirsten said, "I don`t think we would want three specialist spinners. Two is enough and Duminy is a frontline spinner these days."
Even when Pietersen spoke to PTI yesterday, he also showed a lot of confidence in Rahul Sharma`s abilities.
"We have Rahul, who has played for Pune and India. He is good," the skipper had said yesterday.
Among the IPL franchises, Chennai Super Kings have two current India spinners -- Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja -- while Royal Challengers Bangalore have Muttiah Muralitharan, Mumbai Indians have Test specialist Pragyan Ojha, and Sunrisers Hyderabad have leggie Amit Mishra to name a few.
The only team that is comparatively weaker is Kings XI Punjab, which only has part-time off-break Glenn Maxwell to look forward to.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video