Win was incredible and Lynn`s catch was unbelievable, says Gambhir
Sharjah: Skipper Gautam Gambhir called it "incredible" after his side Kolkata Knight Riders pulled off a remarkable come-from-behind victory over Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League here today.
Riding on one of the greatest catches of all time and superb bowling at the death, the Knight Riders pulled off a two-run win in a thrilling last-ball finish.
"It was a incredible win. We deserved some luck too as we have had a number of these last-ball finishes," Gambhir said at the post-match presentation ceremony after his side`s second win in the tournament.
Chasing 151, RCB fell short after an airborne Chris Lynn, who had earlier smashed a 31-ball 45, stretched his body backwards at the deep midwicket fence to pull off a blinder and send back dangerman A B de Villiers.
"Once the ball got a little old, it was difficult to hit. Chris scored useful runs, so did Surya. So we had it in mind that once the ball got that old, we had a chance.
"We were scratchy with the bat, and with the ball, so we need to improve on the areas. The catch was unbelievable and Chris deserved the Man of the Match for that catch," Gambhir added.
Asked about the blinder that he had pulled off, Lynn said, "I slipped and I though if I stood up and dropped the catch, it would look very silly, so just stayed down."
Chasing on a good batting surface, Bangalore were off to a blazing start with Yogesh Takawale (40) and Parthiv Patel (21) dealing in boundaries. They were very much the favourites to log full points till Lynn came in their way.
RCB Bangalore captain Virat Kohli said his team messed up the chase in the last few overs.
"We lost that game rather than KKR winning that one. We played some really good cricket to restrict them to a total, built partnerships, but messed up the game in the last few overs," a dejected Kohli said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional