New Delhi: The ongoing row between the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and Sri Lankan Cricket Board (SLC) regarding the participation of the Lankan players in the lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL) took another twist on Thursday with the BCCI terming the Lankan cricket board’s decision to recall its players as inappropriate.
Talking to reporters, BCCI vice-president Rajiv Shukla said that the Lankan players had earlier committed to play in the league till May 21 and that they should honour their commitment.
“The franchisees were also under the impression that the Sri Lankan players would be staying till May 21,” he said.
Meanwhile, the SLC has asked fast bowler Lasith Malinga to return home early so that he can undergo rehabilitation for a thigh muscle injury.
Malinga was on Wednesday left out of the 16-member squad for the three-match Test series in England.
Earlier on Wednesday, Sri Lankan cricketers currently playing in the IPL had agreed to return home early to prepare for the upcoming England tour, new skipper Tillakaratne Dilshan said.
Dilshan is among 11 players who have been asked by Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) to return home by May 5, more than three weeks before the lucrative Twenty20 tournament ends.
"Personally, I am not unhappy to return early," Dilshan told reporters.
"Playing for my country is more important than playing for IPL. I think everybody selected for England tour will be happy to come early."
Sri Lanka will play three Tests, five one-day internationals and a Twenty20 international during the England tour starting May 14.