IPL betting case: Sampath Kumar suspended for allegedly receiving money from bookie
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: Former Tamil Nadu Superintendent of Police (internal security), G. Sampath Kumar – who had earlier probed IPL betting case, was on Friday placed under suspension for allegedly receiving money from a bookie.
Before the IPL betting case was transferred to the Crime Branch-Criminal Investigation Department, Sampath in his capacity as the Superintendent of Police of `Q` branch, handled the high-profile case.
According to reports, Sampath was suspended because the CB-CID lodged a case against him for allegedly receiving a sum of Rs 53 lakh from one of the bookies, Mahendra Ranka, ostensibly to clear his name in the case.
The order of suspension was issued by the Union Public Service Commission and was sent to the Tamil Nadu Additional Director of Police, Sanjeev Kumar, the report said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference