IPL betting case: Sampath Kumar suspended for allegedly receiving money from bookie
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: Former Tamil Nadu Superintendent of Police (internal security), G. Sampath Kumar – who had earlier probed IPL betting case, was on Friday placed under suspension for allegedly receiving money from a bookie.
Before the IPL betting case was transferred to the Crime Branch-Criminal Investigation Department, Sampath in his capacity as the Superintendent of Police of `Q` branch, handled the high-profile case.
According to reports, Sampath was suspended because the CB-CID lodged a case against him for allegedly receiving a sum of Rs 53 lakh from one of the bookies, Mahendra Ranka, ostensibly to clear his name in the case.
The order of suspension was issued by the Union Public Service Commission and was sent to the Tamil Nadu Additional Director of Police, Sanjeev Kumar, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city