IPL betting case: Sampath Kumar suspended for allegedly receiving money from bookie
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: Former Tamil Nadu Superintendent of Police (internal security), G. Sampath Kumar – who had earlier probed IPL betting case, was on Friday placed under suspension for allegedly receiving money from a bookie.
Before the IPL betting case was transferred to the Crime Branch-Criminal Investigation Department, Sampath in his capacity as the Superintendent of Police of `Q` branch, handled the high-profile case.
According to reports, Sampath was suspended because the CB-CID lodged a case against him for allegedly receiving a sum of Rs 53 lakh from one of the bookies, Mahendra Ranka, ostensibly to clear his name in the case.
The order of suspension was issued by the Union Public Service Commission and was sent to the Tamil Nadu Additional Director of Police, Sanjeev Kumar, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Bulandshahr gang-rape accused plead not guilty, demand narco test to prove innocence
- Was Osho murdered by his followers?
- China hopes for early talks with Phillipines on South China Sea
- US military aids Turkey with air cover, intelligence in anti-ISIS operation in Syria
- Record German budget surplus fuels investment debate