IPL: Deccan Chargers terminated from IPL after failing to give Bank Guarantee
New Delhi: Cash-strapped Deccan Chronicles Holdings Ltd (DCHL) on Friday failed to give Rs 100 crore Bank Guarantee to BCCI as directed by the Bombay High Court after which the BCCI is free to take action on its earlier decision to terminate its IPL franchise Deccan Chargers.
DCHL sought an extension to Friday's deadline until October 15 to submit an "irrevocable and unconditional" Bank Guarantee but the High Court refused to grant further time.
Justice S J Kathawala declined to give them more time, saying the earlier deadline of October 9 had been extended by three days to accommodate them.
Meanwhile, the BCCI, as per high court order, is free to take action, if it so desires, on its earlier decision to terminate the IPL contract of the Hyderabad franchise.
The court had on October 1 asked DCHL to give the bank guarantee which would be in force for a period of one year.
Board of Control for Cricket in India had in September taken the decision to terminate the contract after an emergency IPL Governing Council meeting in Chennai. The DCHL had moved the Bombay High Court challenging the termination.
The court had at an earlier hearing ordered DCHL to bear all expenses for IPL 6 including making payments to BCCI towards franchise, players and support team costs. Besides, it was asked to bear the costs of conducting matches and other expenses.
In the event of any default on part of DCHL, BCCI shall be entitled to invoke the bank guarantee to the extent necessary, Justice Kathawala had said.
The court had on September 26 appointed retired Supreme Court judge C K Thakkar as arbitrator to resolve within three months the dispute between BCCI and DCHL over the termination of Deccan Chargers franchise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report