IPL franchises looking for Pakistan players
Karachi: Some franchises of the Indian Premier League have reportedly begun search for signings from Pakistan ahead of the players auction of the tournament that is due to be held in January.
Sources close to some of the national team players told PTI that inquiries had already started coming in from interested franchises in the IPL.
"Rajasthan Royals and Punjab Kings are among those said to be making inquiries in the initial stages over the availability of Pakistani players and their base prices," one source stated.
The BCCI, which owns the IPL, is yet to announce a policy over the participation of Pakistani players in the league.
Pakistani players have not been able to take part in the lucrative league since the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008 although in the inaugural edition, a number of them featured for different teams. Some of the Pakistani players have made no bones of the fact that they are keen to be part of the IPL, which offers lucrative money.
"If we get a chance to play in the IPL it would be great as it is not only about the money but also about being able to compete against and alongside top players of the world," a national team player said.
"It all depends on what our board says. If it gives us clearance fine but if it says no we can`t do anything directly," another player said.
Sources in the board said that they had asked the BCCI for clarity on whether Pakistani players would be part of the players auction.
"The board will decide after getting a reply from the BCCI since it is their tournament," a source said.
He said as a policy matter it was decided that players would be able to sign up with franchises through the boards.
"I think once the clearance comes it will be the board which will send names of players who can be part of the auction and even if some franchise approaches anyone directly, he will have to get clearance from the board," the source stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`