IPL has affected performance of Indian Test team: Imran Khan
London: Too much emphasis on Indian Premier League and the ODIs affected the performance of Team India during their recent tour of England, where they were whitewashed in both Test and limited-over series, said Imran Khan, Pakistan`s cricketer-turned-politician.
"Emphasis on IPL and limited-over games has affected India`s performance. One must realise that the ultimate test is the Test matches in which you have to take 20 wickets. And when your bowlers are not performing, your batting also gets affected," Imran told Indian Journalists Association on Thursday.
Asked specifically what went wrong with the Indian team, the World Cup-winning former Pakistan skipper said, "What went wrong was the IPL and an emphasis on the limited version of the game, not realising that ultimate test of the team is the Test cricket.
"A great Test team will always win one-day matches but good one-day team will not necessarily win Test matches. You have to take 20 wickets to win Test matches. If you have one-day type bowlers they are not going to get Test wickets," the veteran all-rounder added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj