IPL match-fixing: Supreme Court defers hearing till March 25
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court of India on Friday deferred hearing on the findings of the Justice Mudgal Committee investigation into corruption in the lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL) tournament and posted the matter for next hearing on March 25.
Earlier today, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) filled an affidavit in which it requested the apex court not to reveal the contents of the sealed envelope submitted by the Mudgal committee.
A three-member inquiry committee, led by Justice Mukul Mudgal, submitted its findings in a sealed enveloped on February 10. It is believed that the 170-page-report, with annexures running into more than 4000 pages, includes statements of players and officials associated with IPL.
The committee’s report concluded that Gurunath Meiyappan, BCCI president N Srinivasan’s son-in-law, was the de facto owner of the Chennai Super Kings and that he had not only bet on the IPL, but also passed information on the matches to others.
BCCI Raj Kundra, one of the co-owners of the Rajasthan Royals, was also investigated but the committee did not find conclusive evidence that he bet on IPL matches. It did, however, recommend further investigation into the allegations of Kundra.
The BCCI itself appointed a two-member panel, comprising retired judges T Jayaram Chouta and R Balasubramanian, last July to investigate on the alleged claims of widespread corruption in IPL. But the penal had declared that there was no evidence of any wrongdoing on the part of Gurunath Meiyappan and Raj Kundra, the two who were also probed by the Mudgal committee.
The other two members of the Mudgal committee are additional solicitor general L Nageswara Rao and Assam Cricket Association member Nilay Dutta. It was set up by the Supreme Court in October last year to conduct an independent inquiry into the allegations of corruption against Gurunath and Raj Kundra, as well as betting and spot-fixing in IPL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark