IPL much bigger than BPL, says Tanvir
Karachi: Pakistan`s all-rounder Sohail Tanvir has said that the Bangladesh Premier League is not in the same class as the Indian Premier League.
Tanvir who featured for the Rajasthan Royals in the inaugural edition of the IPL, said while he was enjoying playing in the first BPL, the two could not be compared.
"I don`t think one can compare the two right now. The IPL was held on a much bigger scale and is still a big event. The BPL will take time to establish itself as a big event," Tanvir today told `Geo Super` from Dhaka.
Representing the Syhlet Royals team, Tanvir, however, said that the BPL was a big boost for Bangladesh cricket as despite the busy international calendar the organisers had managed to attract some leading players from around the globe.
"It is a good initiative from Bangladesh cricket and the atmosphere is also picking up. The league should give a big boost to Bangladesh cricket and its players who can learn a lot playing alongside so many foreign players," Tanvir said.
Tanvir who was not picked in the Pakistan squad for the one-day series against England, was given a NOC by the Pakistan board to play in the BPL.
The allrounder said that franchises in the BPL will learn with time on how to sign the best T20 players. "They are learning as it is their first season. I am enjoying playing in the BPL as the competition is improving with every match."
He disclosed that Syhlet Royals had offered the captaincy to his Pakistani teammate, Kamran Akmal but he preferred to play as a wicketkeeper-batsman.
PCB chairman Zaka Ashraf also claimed that he was hopeful of the Pakistan Premier League being launched this year.
"We are in talks with different sponsors to start the PPL and I am sure we can launch this event this year. We see it as a platform to bring back international cricket to Pakistan," Ashraf said.
The PCB has been trying to hold PPL for the past five years without success due to lack of sponsorship and the reluctance of foreign players to play in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray