IPL perfect platform for youngsters: Pujara
Rajkot: Saurashtra`s prolific middle-order batsman Cheteshwar Pujara feels that the Indian Premier League (IPL) is a great platform for young cricketers to rub shoulders with the best in the business from across the world.
He said the IPL has its own charm and playing in the T20 tournament is altogether a different experience. "IPL is the perfect platform for young cricketers to play alongside senior players of different countries. It (IPL) gives youngsters a chance to learn a lot from experienced players," Pujara told PTI.
Pujara`s journey in the IPL so far has been far from rosy because of injuries. He missed the entire IPL in 2009 and was out of action for several months after injuring his knee during Kolkata Knight Riders` warm-up match in the lead-up to the Twenty20 tournament in South Africa.
The scenario was no different in this year`s IPL IV as after playing just seven games for Royal Challengers Bangalore, he sustained a knee injury while fielding against
Kochi Tuskers Kerala to not only miss the remainder of the tournament but also India`s tour of West Indies.
"It is difficult to avoid on-field injury and an injured player does not have any option except for taking rest," Pujara said.
He, however, refused to disclose the nature of his injury. "I cannot disclose the details of my injury as per BCCI`s instruction." Pujara also expressed disappointment for missing out on a chance to tour West Indies in the absence of senior players. "It’s painful to sit out."
In the absence of senior pros, Suresh Raina lead a depleted Indian side to a 3-2 win over the West Indies in the just-concluded five-match ODI series, and Pujara said it proves India`s strong bench strength.
Pujara, however, was concerened about India`s busy schedule and said it gives young cricketers a chance while seniors are resting. Pujara will soon travel to London for further medical treatment and expressed hope to start practice as early as possible.
He has played three Tests for India with 72 against Australia at debut in Bangalore being his highest score.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25