IPL scandal: ICC refuses to comment on Supreme Court’s observation on N Srinivasan
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a new deveopment, an International Cricket Council (ICC) spokesman said the world governing body “has no comment to offer at this stage” relating to the Indian Supreme Court’s observations on Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) President, N Srinivasan.
“It is an internal matter of the BCCI,” the ICC spokesman told AFP in the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka on the sidelines of the ongoing ICC World T20 2014 tournament.
Srinivasan, regarded as the world`s most powerful cricket administrator, is set to take over as chairman of the International Cricket Council board in July.
In a damning remark, the Supreme Court on Tuesday said that N Srinivasan continuing as Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) boss is “nauseating.”
The Supreme Court made the observation regarding the high-profile IPL betting and match-fixing scandal.
Referring to the Justice Mukul Mudgal report, a two-judge bench headed by Justice A K Patnaik said that "We don`t like to damage people`s reputation, but unless the BCCI president steps down, no fair investigation can be done.”
The report, submitted on February 10, concluded that Gurunath Meiyappan, N Srinivasan`s son-in-law, was the de-facto owner of the Chennai Super Kings. It also said that Meiyappan passed crucial information on IPL matches to others, and it had recommended further investigation on the role of Meiyappan in spot-fixing.
It is reported that the report also mentioned names of six prominent "Indian capped" players, including one who is part of the current team.
During the hearing, the BCCI pleads the apex court not to disclose the contents and names of the players mentioned in the report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof