IPL spot-fixing: Bookie Jitender Singh tried to rope in another RR player
New Delhi: A bookie arrested in connection with the IPL spot-fixing case tried to rope in Rajasthan Royals player Harmeet Singh but did not strike a deal as he felt he was "young" and could not do much for them, Delhi Police claimed on Saturday.
Bookie Jitender Singh, alias Jeetu (38), who was arrested from Ahmedabad yesterday, also claimed he tried to strike deals with some players of `Uva`, a team in Sri Lankan Premier League, but was not successful, they said.
These claims were made by Singh, who was allegedly into betting for the past ten years, during his questioning by investigators of Special Cell.
Police also said they wrote a letter to Jaipur Police Commissioner asking him to investigate betting charges against Rajasthan Royals co-owners Raj Kundra and his actress-wife Shilpa Shetty.
"We have given them the statement given to us by Kundra. As the incident took place in Jaipur, we have passed on the case to them," they said adding they have not found any evidence to link Kundra to spot-fixing.
Jeetu also allegedly made Rs 70-80 lakh through betting in the Mohali match between Rajasthan Royals and Kings XI in which Sreesanth "bowled a manipulated over", a senior police official claimed.
Jeetu also told police that they decided to pay Sreesanth Rs ten lakh out of promised Rs 40 lakh though he did not concede 14 runs as agreed earlier as they wanted to use him in other matches.
"He is an international player and to ensure that he does spot-fixing in future also. So, they paid him some money," the official said quoting Jeetu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games
- Watch video: NASA's SDO captures solar material bursting from the sun!
- Salaries to go up 10.7%, star performers to gain handsomely: Study
- Nico Hulkenberg brings one point for Force India from Hungry
- AFI asks IAAF for Olympics wild card for javelin prodigy Neeraj Chopra