IPL spot-fixing: Bookie Jitender Singh tried to rope in another RR player
New Delhi: A bookie arrested in connection with the IPL spot-fixing case tried to rope in Rajasthan Royals player Harmeet Singh but did not strike a deal as he felt he was "young" and could not do much for them, Delhi Police claimed on Saturday.
Bookie Jitender Singh, alias Jeetu (38), who was arrested from Ahmedabad yesterday, also claimed he tried to strike deals with some players of `Uva`, a team in Sri Lankan Premier League, but was not successful, they said.
These claims were made by Singh, who was allegedly into betting for the past ten years, during his questioning by investigators of Special Cell.
Police also said they wrote a letter to Jaipur Police Commissioner asking him to investigate betting charges against Rajasthan Royals co-owners Raj Kundra and his actress-wife Shilpa Shetty.
"We have given them the statement given to us by Kundra. As the incident took place in Jaipur, we have passed on the case to them," they said adding they have not found any evidence to link Kundra to spot-fixing.
Jeetu also allegedly made Rs 70-80 lakh through betting in the Mohali match between Rajasthan Royals and Kings XI in which Sreesanth "bowled a manipulated over", a senior police official claimed.
Jeetu also told police that they decided to pay Sreesanth Rs ten lakh out of promised Rs 40 lakh though he did not concede 14 runs as agreed earlier as they wanted to use him in other matches.
"He is an international player and to ensure that he does spot-fixing in future also. So, they paid him some money," the official said quoting Jeetu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV): A new tool in the fight against polio – Watch to know more about it!
- Planning a trip to USA? Check out top 5 attractions for a family holiday this summer!
- One killed in Sydney mall shooting
- Eva Mendes' brother Carlos loses cancer battle
- Swamy challenges expunging of comments in RS