IPL spot-fixing: Bookie Jitender Singh tried to rope in another RR player
New Delhi: A bookie arrested in connection with the IPL spot-fixing case tried to rope in Rajasthan Royals player Harmeet Singh but did not strike a deal as he felt he was "young" and could not do much for them, Delhi Police claimed on Saturday.
Bookie Jitender Singh, alias Jeetu (38), who was arrested from Ahmedabad yesterday, also claimed he tried to strike deals with some players of `Uva`, a team in Sri Lankan Premier League, but was not successful, they said.
These claims were made by Singh, who was allegedly into betting for the past ten years, during his questioning by investigators of Special Cell.
Police also said they wrote a letter to Jaipur Police Commissioner asking him to investigate betting charges against Rajasthan Royals co-owners Raj Kundra and his actress-wife Shilpa Shetty.
"We have given them the statement given to us by Kundra. As the incident took place in Jaipur, we have passed on the case to them," they said adding they have not found any evidence to link Kundra to spot-fixing.
Jeetu also allegedly made Rs 70-80 lakh through betting in the Mohali match between Rajasthan Royals and Kings XI in which Sreesanth "bowled a manipulated over", a senior police official claimed.
Jeetu also told police that they decided to pay Sreesanth Rs ten lakh out of promised Rs 40 lakh though he did not concede 14 runs as agreed earlier as they wanted to use him in other matches.
"He is an international player and to ensure that he does spot-fixing in future also. So, they paid him some money," the official said quoting Jeetu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report