IPL spot-fixing: Bookie sent to fresh police custody for 5-day
New Delhi: A bookie in IPL spot-fixing case was on Monday remanded in fresh police custody for five days by a Delhi court after the agency said it has invoked MCOCA against him and was entitled to seek his further custody.
"The matter is being investigated under the provision of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA)... Accused (Ashwani Aggarwal) is remanded in five days of police custody," Additional Sessions Judge Raj Rani Mitra said.
The court directed the special cell of Delhi police to produce Ashwani alias Tinku Mandi before it on June 29.
The court also deferred hearing on the bail applications of suspended Rajasthan Royal`s player Ajit Chandila, bookies Ramesh Vyas, Deepak Kumar and ex-Ranji player Baburao Yadav for tomorrow.
Meanwhile, the court fixed hearing on bail application of Ashwani and bookie Sunil Bhatia on June 29 after their counsel requested it to keep it on that day as Ashwani will also be produced.
Besides, the court has also issued production warrant for bookie Baburao Yadav for tomorrow.
During the proceedings, Ashwani refuted the allegations of special cell that he had links with the underworld people.
Seeking 10-day fresh custody of Ashwani, senior public prosecutor Rajiv Mohan said MCOCA was invoked in the case on June 3 and they need his custody to interrogate him.
The police also said Ashwani was in constant touch with Javed Chutani, a close associate of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and Chhota Shakeel.
Ashwani, arrested on May 16 and after remaining in Delhi Police custody for over 11 days, was handed over to Mumbai Police on May 28 as they wanted to interrogate him in a similar case lodged there.
The Delhi Police had on May 16 arrested three cricketers -- S Sreesanth, Chandila and Ankeet Chavan of Rajasthan Royals -- on the charge of spot-fixing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling