IPL spot-fixing: Chandila questioned by ACSU chief
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Tainted cricketer Ajit Chandila was questioned by the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s (BCCI) Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU) chief Ravi Sawani on Friday.
Chandila is accused in the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2013 spot-fixing case.
Chandila’s lawyer Rakesh Kumar was miffed about the fact that the player was interrogated. Kumar told Mumbai Mirror: “They have interrogated the player without a showcause notice. The inquiry process, adopted by the BCCI, is wrong. Without evidence they are declaring the players guilty."
Kumar was also unhappy with the fact that the big fish were given a ‘clean-chit’ by the BCCI but on the other hand, S Sreesanth and Ankeet Chavan were handed bans. He stated: “They`ve declared Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals and others not guilty in the inquiry conducted by two judges. Thankfully, that report was stayed by the Supreme Court. But they have declared Sreesanth and other players’ guilty and announced bans against them. It is nothing but double standards. They are making players the scapegoats.”
In the meantime, Chandila asked Savani to allow him a week to present his written submissions. Chandila’s lawyer said that they asked Savani to wait for the written submissions before he submits his report to BCCI.
If sources are to be believed then Chandila would also be given a life-ban like Chavan and Sreesanth.
Sreesanth, Chavan and Chandila were arrested on May 16, along with 11 bookies, and were charged under the Indian Penal Code section 420 and 120B, which deal with fraud, cheating and criminal conspiracy.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song