IPL spot-fixing: Cops oppose anticipatory bail plea of accused
New Delhi: The Delhi Police today opposed in a court here the anticipatory bail plea of Mohd Shakil, alias Amir, chargesheeted in IPL spot-fixing scandal case involving suspended cricketer S Sreesanth, saying he was in touch with the accused who were part of the "core syndicate".
The Special Cell of Delhi Police claimed Amir was facilitating the fixing racket and he was in constant touch with arrested accused Chandresh Patel and Jitendra who, in turn, were in direct link with the main syndicate involving underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and his close aide Chhota Shakeel.
"Amir was chargesheeted in the case. Non-bailable warrant was issued against him by the court after filing of the charge sheet. He was in touch with Chandresh Patel and Jitendra who was in touch with bookie Ashwani Aggarwal.... Ashwani was in the core syndicate with Dawood and Shakeel," public prosecutor Rajiv Mohan told Additional Sessions Judge Dharmesh Sharma.
The court, after hearing the arguments of both the sides, reserved for tomorrow its order on the anticipatory bail plea.
During the hearing, the counsel, appearing for Amir, argued the role of his client has not been disclosed in the charge sheet and not a "single prosecution witness" out of the 168 witnesses have testified against him.
"Who says he (Amir) is absconding? Have they (police) served any notice to him to join the investigation? What was the evidence on which I am required to be arrested," the counsel said.
The police had on July 30 filed its charge sheet in the case against 39 accused, including Dawood Ibrahim, Shakeel, now suspended cricketers Sreesanth, Ankit Chavan and Ajit Chandila for their alleged involvement in the IPL spot-fixing scandal.
Besides, charging all the accused for the offence of conspiracy and cheating under IPC, provisions of stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) have been invoked against them for being the part of the syndicate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly