IPL spot fixing: Court rejects plea for separate cell in Tihar
New Delhi: A plea for a separate cell in Tihar jail on the grounds of being "well educated" and belonging to a "respected family" has been rejected by a Delhi court which on Friday dismissed the petition of former Ranji cricketer Manish Guddewar arrested in IPL spot fixing scandal.
The court rejected the plea of Guddewar, a former Ranji player of Vidarbha, saying lots of educated people are lodged in Tihar jail and the prison manual does not discriminate between under trial prisoners.
"So what if he (Guddewar) belongs to a well-educated and respected family. Lots of educated people are lodged in Tihar jail," Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Lokesh Kumar Sharma said.
Guddewar and four others arrested accused were on Friday sent to judicial custody till June 4 by the court.
After the court remanded Guddewar to judicial custody, his counsel moved an application saying the player should be kept in a separate cell in Tihar as lots of sentiments are attached with the game and if he is kept with hardcore criminals, he can be harmed.
The lawyer also said Guddewar belongs to a well-educated and respected family and has been implicated in the case.
The court, however, dismissed his plea saying there was "nothing special" about Guddewar if he is a player.
"Jail manual does not discriminate between undertrial prisoners having roots in the society. There is no apprehension of any threat to him. Accordingly, the application is dismissed," the court said.
Besides Guddewar, Amit Kumar Singh, a former IPL player associated with the Rajasthan Royals franchise and three arrested bookies, Kiran Dole, Sunil Bhatia and Ramakant Aggarwal were on Friday sent to judicial custody till June 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea