IPL spot-fixing: Sreesanth, others to reply to police plea
New Delhi: Suspended cricketers S Sreesanth and Ankit Chavan of Rajasthan Royals and 19 others were today asked by a court here to respond to the plea of Delhi police seeking cancellation of bail granted to them in the IPL spot fixing case citing "evidence" against them under MCOCA.
Special Public Prosecutor Rajeev Mohan said that earlier they had no sufficient evidence, so the accused were released on bail. But now, they have strong evidence to prove that all the arrested persons were acting on behest of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and his aide Chhota Shakeel.
Additional Sessions Judge Renu Bhatnagar issued notice to the cricketers and bookies for August 21. The court also took cognisance of the charge sheet filed yesterday and directed that a copy be supplied to each of the accused.
On June 10, while granting bail to the accused, the court had said there is prima facie "no sufficient material" against the accused to establish their "nexus" with organised crime syndicate.
Delhi Police Special Cell has now said there are enough grounds for revocation of its earlier order granting bail to them.
Mohan, who moved the plea on behalf of the police, said that with the invocation of the stringent provisions of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA), the accused have no right of bail.
He also said that as per the CFSL report, the voice of each of the accused, directly or indirectly speaking to underworld people sitting abroad, has been identified.
"We have attached 2000 pages of messages sent among the 39 persons chargesheeted in the case," Mohan submitted.
Presently, out of the 39, 21 are on bail, eight are in custody and 10 are absconding.
The court, meanwhile, deferred to August 7 the hearing on the bail plea of accused Jitender Jain, who is in judicial custody, after Delhi police said that it wants to advance arguments on the basis of the charge sheet filed.
The court`s decision on the bail applications of the seven others, who are also in judicial custody, was also deferred till August 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'