IPL Spot fixing: Sreesanth`s plea for FIR disposed as none turn up
New Delhi: The plea of arrested Indian pacer S Sreesanth that he be provided with a copy of the FIR of the IPL spot-fixing scandal case was on Monday disposed of by a Delhi court as his lawyer did not turn up to pursue it.
"No one present on behalf of the applicant (Sreesanth`s advocate). The application is dismissed for non prosecution," Metropolitan Magistrate Gaurav Rao said.
Sreesanth and two of his teammates of Rajasthan Royals franchise and 11 bookies were remanded in five days police custody on May 16.
The lawyer on May 17 had moved an application before the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Lokesh Kumar Sharma, seeking a copy of the FIR to prepare his defence.
However, as the CMM did not hold the court today, the matter was sent to another Metropolitan Magistrate who disposed of the plea of Sreesanth as his lawyer could not appear to argue the application.
Earlier, the CMM had allowed the lawyers of the cricketer and other accused to inspect the copy of the FIR.
Seeking seven days custody for accused, the police had told the court that Sreesanth and his IPL teammates Ajit Chandila and Ankit Chavan, who were arrested in Mumbai early this week, had betted and taken money for every ball and run in every over.
Sreesanth and two other cricketers were arrested in a post-midnight operation in Mumbai on May 16 by Delhi police for spot-fixing in IPL matches for payments of upto Rs 60 lakh for giving away pre-determined number of runs in an over.
Police alleged that the cricketers had indulged in spot-fixing in at least three IPL matches as per arrangements with bookies who have underworld connections abroad.
The players, who have been suspended by the BCCI, have been booked under section 420 (cheating) and 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand