Irani Cup: Sehwag to captain Rest of India; Bhajji, Sreesanth in
New Delhi: Out-of-favour in ODIs, Virender Sehwag was today named the captain of the Rest of India (ROI) squad for the Airtel Irani Cup match against Ranji Trophy champions Mumbai to be held at the Wankhede Stadium from February 6 to 10.
Sehwag, who was dropped from India`s ODI team for the recently-concluded series against England due to poor form, will lead a 14-member ROI squad.
Senior off-spinner Harbhajan Singh and maverick pacer S Sreesanth have also been included in the Rest of India line-up.
A significant development was out-of-form opener Gautam Gambhir being not selected in any of the squads. Gambhir`s form has been shoddy and thus he won`t get any longer version game before the squad for the first Test is selected. Zaheer Khan and Umesh Yadav have also not been considered as they are yet to submit their fitness certificates.
Manoj Tiwary, who has also completed his rehabilitation process, has been included in the Rest of India squad as well as India `A` squad that will take on Australia.
According to team announced by the All-India Senior Selection Committee at Bengaluru today, the ROI side comprises of six batsmen, six bowlers, one all-rounder in Jalaj Saxena and a wicketkeeper in Wriddhiman Saha.
Apart from the ROI squad, in today`s meeting the selectors have also handpicked the Board President`s XI and India A team for practices matches against visting Australia.
Left-handed Tamil Nadu opener Abhinav Mukund will lead the Board President`s XI side against Australia in a two-day game at Chennai February 12-13.
Punjab opener Jiwanjot Singh, who scored five centuries has been included in the India `A` squad.
Promising Jammu and Kashmir all-rounder Parveez Rasool once again got rewarded for his spledid performance in this season`s Ranji Trophy as he has been included in the Board President`s XI team for the warm-up game against Australia.
The 23-year-old Rasool earlier this month became the first player from Jammu and Kshmir to make it to the national side after he was named in the India A squad for the warm-up game against England.
Meanwhile, the India A team to take on Australia in a three-day match in Chennai from February 16 to 18 will be captained by Delhi left-hander Shikhar Dhawan, a statement from BCCI secretary Sanjay Jagdale said.
Rest of India: Virender Sehwag (captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Murali Vijay, Manoj Tiwary, Suresh Raina, Wriddhiman Saha, Harbhajan Singh, S Sreesanth, Pragyan Ojha, Ishwar Pandey, Abhimanyu Mithun, Ambati Rayudu, Shami Ahmed, Jalaj Saxena.
Board President`s XI: Abhinav Mukund (captain), Robin Uthappa, Ambati Rayudu, Mandeep Singh, Kedar Jadhav, Parthiv Patel, Stuart Binny, Sarabjit Ladda, Parveez Rasool, Mohammed Shami, Parvinder Awana, Kamlesh Makwana.
India `A`: Shikhar Dhawan (captain), Jiwanjot Singh, Rohit Sharma, Manoj Tiwary, Ajinkya Rahane, CM Gautam, Rakesh Dhruv, Jalaj Saxena, Manpreet Gony, Vinay Kumar, Dhawal Kulkarni, Ashok Menaria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India