Irani Trophy: Murali Vijay slams ton as Rest of India dominate on Day 1
Mumbai: Opener Murali Vijay stroked his way to his second successive century in the Irani Cup as Rest of India dominated the opening day of their five-day fixture against recently crowned Ranji Trophy champions Mumbai at the Wankhede Stadium here on Wednesday.
With good contributions from one-down batsman Manoj Tiwary (37), Ambati Rayudu (51) and Suresh Raina (36 not out), RoI ended day one at 330 for five.
Vijay, who had notched a double ton for the RoI against last year`s champions Rajasthan in Bangalore at the start of the season, compiled an aggressive 116 and also put on a quickfire 144-run stand with opening partner Shikhar Dhawan (63) to lay a strong foundation.
RoI, without captain and opener Virender Sehwag who pulled out at the eleventh hour due to an upset stomach, dominated the day completely.
The situation could have been even better for RoI had Mumbai`s pace spearhead Dhawal Kulkarni not dismissed Wriddhiman Saha just before close with the second new ball for his first wicket.
At stumps, Raina, was on 36 after a near two-hour stay in which he faced 68 balls and hit four fours. Captain Harbhajan (0) was the other unbeaten batsman at the crease.
Raina, along with Rayudu, also put on 78 runs for the fourth wicket in 122 balls.
For Mumbai, who opted to field after winning the toss, captain Abhishek Nayar was the most successful bowler with figures of two for 49, while the other three wickets were shared equally by Shardul Thakur, part time bowler Rohit Sharma and Kulkarni.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!