Is it the end of road for Gautam Gambhir and Virender Sehwag?
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: You can’t rest on your past laurels, they say. Nothing does more justice to this adage than Indian cricket.
A lean patch and one of the most prolific opening pairs of all time for the country, Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir, were shown the doors by the selectors. Though, fortunately India got a perfect replacement in the form of another Delhiite – Shikhar Dhawan but unluckily, the old warhorses are still struggling with their form. Southpaw (Dhawan) has been performing outstandingly well ever since he took the charge to open the Indian innings in all formats of the game and never gave his skipper and selectors a chance to even consider the comeback of the senior Delhiites.
Gambhir and Sehwag’s quest to make a comeback in Team India continues as they have have failed to impress of late. Gambhir joined Essex club to play County cricket, which has helped many cricketers in the past to make their comeback in the national team. But apart from scoring a century, he failed to put up a good show that would have impressed the Indian selectors. Even while playing in the Challengers Trophy for the Delhi team, he flopped with the bat and managed to score 20 and 4 in two matches. Even while playing for India A on Thursday against West Indies A, in an unofficial Test match, Gauti got out after score mere 11 runs.
Another Delhi opener, Sehwag who is now trying his luck down the order -- at number six – got out cheaply on seven while playing for India A. Viru also failed to impress during the Challengers Trophy, as in three matches he scored 59, 8, 5 respectively.
Another discarded player Yuvraj Singh recently got a call from selectors for the home series against Australia after he played a series of match-winning knocks for India A and India Blue.
So now both the Delhi openers have to play some big knocks if they want to draw similar kind of attention from Indian selectors, who are currently looking quite satisfied with the Indian batting, especially the top order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof