New Delhi: Despite being one of the most swashbuckling cricketers the game has seen, Virender Sehwag's downfall of late has been an unplesant sight for fans across the world. But now that the veteran has expressed his desire to see his name in India's World Cup probables list, the question is whether it is actually possible?
"I also hope that my name appears in the 30-member strong probables list. Every cricketer who plays wants to play in the World Cup for his country. I also still dream and hope even I play in this World Cup," Sehwag said on Tuesday.
The Delhi dasher had recently told some of the top DDCA officials that he does not want to block the road of promising juniors from Delhi as he asked the selectors not to consider him for the 15-member North Zone squad for the Deodhar Trophy.
Sehwag last played an ODI match for India against Pakistan on January 3, last year. Despite having a good season for Kings XI Punjab in 2014, the 36-year-old hasn't done much in domestic cricket to attract the attention of the national selectors. While another discarded opener, Gautam Gambhir, did make a comeback in India's Test squad for the series in England earlier this year, Sehwag, who now wears glasses while batting, hasn't been considered to make a comeback in any format of the game.
There was a time, when it was impossible to imagine an Indian team without him. But with players like Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma and Ajinkya Rahane doing well at the top of the order, Sehwag's comeback into the squad seems highly unlikely.
Sehwag has played three World Cups for India so far, the last being the 2011 edition where India defeated Sri Lanka to win their second coveted title, under the captaincy of MS Dhoni.